You can find us here Hotel Lory-White House
History of the village of Ficarolo
Although many scholars give Ficarolo origins, dating back to Roman times, Ravelli makes it start the story with the 10th century, period in which the documentation concerning the country is absolutely certain, through a document of 936, with which Bonifacio, 2nd count of Bologna, and Ingelberto, Abbot of Nonantola, enforced an exchange of goods, including Ficarolo (pago Figariole), at the time belonging to the countryside of Ferrara and located, along with the village of Settepolesini (now part of Bondeno), to the left of the Po.
In Ficarolo 970 remembers how Castle, and soon the country assumed a role of considerable importance: he was already a long time or become later seat of pieve, absorbed almost immediately part of the plebeian district of Santa Maria of thirty. That such partial absorption, however, was taking place in the 10th century, it shows the Church of Ravenna: the fundus ^ bonorum Publica, belonging to the Church of Santo Stefano di G/Galigo, which also belonged the fundus Bonolitico, bordered on the sides opposed to the territory of the parish churches of Santa Maria di Ficarolo and San Donato in Pedrurio; this demarcation is repeated in a 13th-century Act that relates to lease concessions from the first half of the 11th century.
The country has linked his name to the route of Ficarolo, who in 1152 shook the main course of the Po; It was actually a series of routes which led to the creation of a new branch, who took the name Little in Ficarolo and which became in a few years the main course of the river. Among the consequences of this disaster, the village of Settepolesini came to be located in the right bank of the Po River.
The fortress of Ficarolo, who controlled the Po together with the twin stakes on the South Bank of the River, the starry Bondeno (still exists), was besieged by the Venetians during the salt war (1482-1484) and capitulated after strenuous defence of the small Garrison against the overwhelming forces of the Serenissima. The peace of Bagnolo, which ended the war, marked the return of some territories under the Duchy of Ferrara, including Ficarolo what then became part of the so-called Transpadana Ferrarese. The country remained under the estensi of Ferrara until 1598, when the territory came under the Papal States, including Transpadana Ferrarese.
After the Treaty of Campo Formio of 1796, during the Napoleonic period Ficarolo became part of the Department of the lower Po, first in the Cisalpine Republic, then in 1802 in Australia and then in 1805 to the Kingdom of Italy.
The Congress of Vienna in 1815 changed the boundaries of the Polesine of Rovigo moving them on the Po, therefore Ficarolo became part of the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia and, after being emiliana for almost a Millennium, was Rovigo and became Venetian. In 1866, after the third Italian war of independence, Venetia was ceded to Italy, but the borders with Emilia remained on the Po and Ficarolo remained in the province of Rovigo.